Grammar & Complete Sentences Intervention Levels 1-4
Set students up for writing success and provide them with consistent, skill-building grammar practice with this sentence editing bundle! Move students from end punctuation to commas, from a simple sentence to breaking up run-on sentences! For a detailed preview of the product, click here!
About the Conventions of English Mastery Workbook Series
Across grade levels, the Common Core emphasizes that students should “Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.” The challenge is, how do we get students there?
These Conventions of Standard English workbooks systematically build students’ skills, from choosing end punctuation to punctuating addresses. Each level builds on the one before, allowing students to cement their previously learned skills while learning the next grammatical skill.
The workbook was designed for students with disabilities and students in intervention groups who benefit from repeated practice and progressive skill building activities, but can be used by any student! While other programs jump from skill to skill, switching from day to day from adding commas to dates to capitalizing proper nouns, this program is progressive, meaning that each skill builds and layers on the skill before.
What is Included in the Bundle
There are four levels of the workbook, each of which has 120 daily practice opportunities for students:
- Level 1, Punctuating Single Sentences focuses on building students’ skills at punctuating single sentences. Part A focuses on beginning capitals and choosing the correct end punctuation. Part B adds capitalization of the word “I,” and Part C adds in proper nouns.
- Level 2, Finding Complete Sentences. It focuses on recognizing where a sentence ends as students work on breaking one, run on sentence, into two using end punctuation. Part A focuses on identifying where a sentence begins and ends. Part B layers on proper nouns. Part C adds in contractions, like adding the apostrophe to “don’t.”
- Level 3, Fixing Run-On Sentences. It focuses on breaking apart longer chunks of text as students learn to divide one long, run on sentence, into three complete sentences. Part A focuses on identifying where the sentences begin and end. Part B layers on contractions and proper nouns. Part C adds in possessives, asking students to add apostrophes where needed.
- Finally, Level 4, Mastering Complete Sentences includes a mixture of sentence lengths, asking students to flexibly identify where sentences begin and end. Part A focuses on dividing a long, run-on sentence, into complete sentences. Part B layers on proper nouns, contractions, and possessives while Part C adds in commas for addresses and dates.
As soon as students master skills, move them along! The goal is for students to have enough practice to cement their skills while still challenging them and helping them build new skills.
All workbooks include answer keys and a placement test, also available free, that allows you to choose the product that is just right for your students.
Common Core Alignment
Note that this program is Common Core aligned for grades K-5. Specifically, across levels the materials in this workbook align with the following standards:
- Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.K.2a
- Use end punctuation for sentences CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.2b
- Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.2.1f
- Produce simple, compound, and complex sentences CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.1i
- Produce complete sentences, recognizing and correcting inappropriate fragments and run-ons. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.1f
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.5.2
Need More Interventions?
- If you are looking for Common Core aligned interventions that match the goals and assessments in the success kit, check out the store! For writing, we also have writing fluency, and descriptive writing interventions. For mathematics, we have word problem and computation interventions from addition facts to long division. Reading interventions are coming soon!
Need IEP Writing Resources?
- Check out the IEP Success Kits! Each kit includes informal assessments in reading, writing, and mathematics as well as present levels (PLOPs or PLAAFPs) templates and an IEP goal bank!
Returns & Refunds
- Not sure the product is right for you? See the store’s refund and returns policy— and try the product risk free for thirty days!